Friday, May 18, 2007

I Never Thought it Would Be Me.

It was bound to happen eventually, but, let's be honest, since I don't do much of anything related to care-giving, I never thought it would be my fault.

Last night, while changing Molly's diaper and getting her into her pajamas, I pulled out her button.

It's been in for a number of months, so the skin has healed around it, and it's supposedly removable. All in all it shouldn't have been too big a deal. But it was.

We were told the hole in her abdomen would heal like an ear piercing and we would be able to put the button back in like an earring after a few months. Well, since I was a big fan of the piercings back in the day, I have plenty of experience with putting earrings in. That is the worst possible analogy that could have been drawn.

In fact, it was more like stuffing a cucumber into the top of a Gatorade bottle. Sure, eventually you'll get it to go in, but not without some extra effort and a little mess.

She was not happy. She screamed right in my face while I was doing it. An hour later she was still mad at me. Two hours later she was asleep on my lap. She slept well and seemed comfortable. I hope we don't have to do that again any time soon. But at least we know we can do it.

Trinity won last night; I know you were all curious. Beat the number one seeded Cortland Red Dragons 2-1 in 13 innings. I listened to most of it; it sounded like an incredibly well-pitched game. The boys play Ithaca in the winners bracket final at noon today. Go Bants.

No comments: