Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What Have I Learned in 100 Posts? (51-100)

So I banged out those first 50 pretty quickly. I thought it was going to be a little harder than it really was. So without further ado, the rest:

51. My short game suffers the most when I don't have time to practice.
52. Being angry is a waste of energy.
53. When it come to gyro: Greek Lady. If she isn't around: Efes.
54. It is possible to sleep on a stool if you're tired enough.
55. The Family Sleep Rooms at CHoP, while a nice gesture, are just barely big enough for a full-sized human male.
56. Theoretically one could watch The Office on a small screen in the corner of their monitor, while doing actual work on the remainder of it.
57. The last year has been brutal, and I can't even imagine how much worse it would have been without my in-laws.
58. What doesn't kill you does, in fact, make you stronger.
59. The Unsinkable Molly Brown was a reference to Margaret Brown, a wealthy American socialite and philanthropist, who survived the sinking of the Titanic.
60. Molly Brown was wealthy because her husband, James Joseph Brown, hit it big in the Colorado gold mines.
61. My grandfather's name was also James Joseph Brown.
62. We knew none of this before our daughter was born.
63. The Unsinkable Molly Brown is now a reference to my daughter.
64. If not for my buddy Rob, my dog would have to "hold it" for 15 hours more often.
65. Easter mass on the 18th green at Harbour Town tops any other.
66. A baptism, in the hospital, less than two hours after delivery, is an experience you'll remember forever.
67. Ditto having eighteen people in your hospital room at one time.
68. Karma wins.
69. It is possible to convince yourself that something you have said or done has created whatever challenge it is you're facing.
70. That's why karma wins.
71. Our pediatrician has an "I [Heart] Hot Moms" t-shirt too; I bought it for him.
72. It is possible to re-insert an ng tube almost anywhere; including a restaurant, a table in a break room, the back of a car, etc.
73. Regardless of how good you get at re-inserting them, the person to whom the tube is attached will always be better at extracting it.
74. I am incapable of being serious for too long.
75. Not saying anything negative is harder than you'd think.
76. It's possible to fall asleep in the Meadowlands while 80,000 people make a lot of noise.
77. They make Burberry shirts for babies.
78. You can't explain it, but moms just have a way of making things ok.
79. There are times when McDonald's is actually precisely what you need.
80. Molly doesn't like to have surgery, so she puts it off until she decides she is ready.
81. Hundreds of people will come out for a pasta dinner on a rainy, cold, Friday night, if they believe in the cause.
82. There is no way to sufficiently express your gratitude to people who would do something like that.
83. Have I mentioned anything about how much I love my wife?
84. Macy's in Herald Square may have the real Santa, but there are still seven fakes up there with him.
85. The Internet is taking over - otherwise I would never find out that Molly was coming home from people who read my wife's CaringBridge journal before me.
86. The terrific people from Peapod will do all your shopping for you and bring the groceries right into your kitchen.
87. There may not be anything worse than a person who thinks they know what they're talking about.
88. With very little difficulty, people I don't even know can find and read all this stuff.
89. I actually pretend they want to.
90. There are certain times during the day when it takes longer to go the last four miles to CHoP than the first 40.
91. Not only do the numbers on the monitor mean something, they're not all that hard to understand.
92. Every hospital has a play room, and you need a three year old to find it.
93. If the parking garage doesn't validate, it may be cheaper to take a car service.
94. It's possible for a baby to spit up after every single feeding, and not even seem to care.
95. If everything happens for a reason, I'd like to know what it is.
96. I refuse to admit I am old enough to have grown up problems, but that doesn't change the fact that I do.
97. There are some things you just don't talk about.
98. No matter what.
99. I'm a touch superstitious.
100. There are a lot of people out there looking out for us. So thank you.

Seriously though, there could be a hundred more things I've learned in the last year. And probably twice as many on a list of, "Things I Haven't Learned." There is no way I could acknowledge everyone who has had an impact on us in that span of time, nor could I appropriately thank you all for doing the things you all do to show you care. I just have to hope you know who you are, and what it means to us.

No comments: