Monday, February 12, 2007

Kids Say the Darndest Things

By now you all probably know that Gavin frequently says things that make me laugh out loud, but I am not so used to something that does the complete opposite. Here are the two ends of the spectrum, both events occuring in the last sixteen hours:

Laugh out loud:
I walked in to Grandma and Grandpa's house after being at the hospital for two days. After hugging me and telling me how happy he is to see me, Gavin starts to take my hat off my head. I assured him I did not want to take my hat off (I'd been at the hospital for two days, remember, and I need a haircut pretty badly). My grandmother always told me to take my hat off in a building. I usually obeyed, but most times reluctantly. We've decided to instill this habit in Gavin at a very young age, and he is very good about it. Recently he tried to get me to take off my hat at home and I told him it was ok to wear your hat in your own house. So as I am begging him not to take off my hat last night he reminds me, "Daddy it's rude to wear your hat in someone else's house." How can you argue with that.

The complete opposite:
Grandma and Grandpa took Gavin to see Charlotte's Web yesterday. On the way to school this morning he was telling me all about it. I don't recall this, but it seems the spider dies at the end. I asked him if that made him sad and he said, "no, because I was just watching the movie. But it made the pig sad because he was the spider's friend." I asked if he knew why the spider died and he said "because I think she was just getting a little old. I don't have to worry because I am just starting to grow big."

In hindsight that may have been a good time to address the fact that sometimes spiders die from things other than "just getting a little old." Instead I said nothing.

No comments: