Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bright and Early at CHoP; and Gettin' "Stuck"

The alarm went off at 4 am this morning. Of course, we still didn't get out of the house until about 4:55. It takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to CHoP; we need coffee; we've got an hour and five. As one would expect, since we're in a hurry, there are two cars in front of us at the DD drive though - the first of whom is clearly ordering a custom breakfast sandwich that has to be delicately prepared by the lone employee manning the entire place. We then proceeded to hit three straight red lights, all of which appeared to be red at the same time as the intersecting light. I had a slight sense the day was going to be less than stellar.

But miraculously, somehow, through some stroke of absolute miracle [I didn't go less than 80 the whole way], we made it to the hospital with four minutes to spare.

There was no reason for anything to be delayed at that hour, so we anticipated Molly going in for surgery at about 7:15. The only thing that could hold her up - and has before - was her IV. She is what the nurses refer to as a tough stick. We remind the nurse this is the case.

She pages an all-star.

He gets the IV in on the first try and tries to sell my wife on the concept of a wall-mounted flat-screen TV.

Definitely an all-star.

Molly went out right on time. They told us the procedure would be fast, and it was. After we sent Molly off I went down to the cafeteria for a couple bagels and a coffee. I went straight back upstairs to meet Erin. Before we had finished eating our bagels they called to tell us she was out and recovering.

We joined Molly back in prep/recovery. We were keeping a close eye on the time and the weather because we didn't want to get caught in traffic or the "snow storm." It looked like we were going to get out reasonably early.

Then Molly woke up.

And then she threw up.

After a little while she fell back to sleep and was resting comfortably for several hours. Eventually we got her to keep some fluids down and they agreed to let us go home. We were walking out of the hospital at around 1 pm apparently beating traffic, snow storms, and historical precedent.

All in all, quite a good day. We actually pulled off an out-patient surgical procedure. Amazing.

Then we got home. And here is where the day became just plain swell.

It looked like it was going to work out nicely, since there was a box on the step for Gavin. I got a new pair of running shoes in the mail yesterday and Gavin wanted to know why he hadn't gotten any packages lately. So this was quite a welcome turn of events.

Erin walked in and checked the voicemail. I grabbed the US mail. As she listened to the messages, I went through the pile. In the span of about 30 seconds the following took place:

1) I got called for jury duty. I can probably get out of it, but seriously, is there a more clear symbol of bad karma?

2) I was denied for a loan I didn't apply for. I presume it was because I talked to the loan officer about potentially refinancing and then never got the paperwork done, but I really have no idea. In any event, it was nice to see the bank I've been using since 1997 stand behind one of their loyal customers.

3) Our new insurance decided to no longer cover Molly's formula. Not a huge deal, I mean I guess we shouldn't have gotten used to someone else paying for Molly's food anyway. But it was a nice stipend. And remember, when I say new insurance I mean new six months ago. So I'll have to assume this denial will be accompanied by six months worth of bills.

"Yes, hello, I have a 3 pm appointment to see 'The Man'."

"Right you're scheduled for the 'kick in the groin and steal your girl?' Go right in he's expecting you."

But let's look on the bright side. We're home and Molly is feeling much better. In fact, as I type she and her big brother are sound asleep. And I will soon follow.

Thanks to all of you who called/sent emails and texts to check in today. We appreciate you all looking out for us.

Oh yeah, and since I know you've all been on the edge of your respective seats since last Wednesday: I gave up procrastination for Lent. Friday

No comments: