Monday, March 13, 2006

Level II

Today's Level II ultrasound was planned weeks ago. As I've mentioned, there were some early markers that had us concerned about a potential chromosomal abnormality, but our last scan was good and our demeanor was positive. Right up until we walked into the room we were discussing "the big question".

"So do you want to know?" asked the technician, as she began her scan.

Yes. We both wanted to know the sex of the baby.

The ultrasound was comprehensive, and the technician was focused. She spent one hour (almost to the minute) scanning from every possible angle and carefully examining many different things. When she got up to leave the room she said, "The doctor will need to get a good look at the heart, so please make yourself comfortable. I'll also let him tell you the sex."

Thinking back, I am not certain why we weren't worried at that point?

When the doctor came in he went right to work. His scan was as intense as the technician's, yet he wasn't really talking to us at all. Finally, after another 30 minutes or so, he said, "I'm going to tell you about what I see because I know my silence is killing you. I do have some concerns."

That was the exact point at which everything changed with this pregnancy.

No comments: