Friday, July 21, 2006

A Golf Outing

How is a golf outing relevant?

Today was the 1st Annual Emma Marie McCabe Golf Classic. This event was organized by a family who lost a child last fall, to the same disorder we're currently preparing for. October 3, 2005. Those of you who know me well may recall I was preparing to turn thirty and not taking it well. How incredibly ridiculous of me! This family was coping with the loss of a child who had only been born three days earlier, and I was complaining about a number. Perspective is a funny thing.

But here is something else: October 3, 2005 was less than 10 months ago and these parents are out and about, socializing, functioning, thriving. Their grieving, of course, but they're ok. I have no idea how we're going to handle this experience. I have no idea what's going to happen with Molly once she is born. We don't anything. Every day from now on has more of a question mark than any previous day. But now, after seeing Emma's parents up close and personal, I do know this: we will get through it together.

The golf outing was organized to benefit the Trisomy 18 Foundation. I learned about the event through the newsletter you receive from the Foundation as a member. Erin and I became members right after learning of Molly's diagnosis. I can't begin to articulate how helpful this site has been. At the beginning it served as a place to learn, then it became a place to share, and it will eventually become a place to heal. For Erin, the access it affords to other mothers with similar experiences has been an invaluable resource. The message boards and support group has been her main source of therapy. And it's been a huge help.

If anyone is interested, I encourage you to visit the site. You can learn how friends and family can help. You can sign up to receive a newsletter. You can donate to the cause and insure that this site will exist for the next family that needs it.

Also, an enormous thank you to the friends, family and co-workers who participated in the event today. Despite the heat at first, and the subsequent torrential rainstorm and accompanying thunder and lightning, the event was a huge success. Fourteen people played golf as part of the "Sean Brown" group, which became a big joke at registration as all 14 were registered as me. And one additional person joined us for dinner (which actually ended up being a small gathering at Conte's while a few of us die-hards closed down the golf course). I hope you all had a good time, and realize how important it is to Erin and me that you were willing to be part of it.

No comments: