Monday, July 02, 2007

Semantics

Tomorrow. A week from tomorrow. Who is really keeping track? Besides, you guys are the ones who told me to post when the mood strikes.

So last week we took Molly to an ENT. The doctor was perfectly nice, but she didn't tell us much of anything. She said the tests Molly had for her hearing may not have been accurate (which we already knew) because the sensors may not have been able to measure things like fluid in the ear, or a narrow ear canal prohibiting the probes from getting down as far as they needed to. She said there are a whole series of tests we should do to gradually determine the extent, if any, of her hearing loss.

See there was no reason to rush for that post.

Since then things have been pretty normal.

This past weekend was nice: we went to the pool on Saturday and the beach on Sunday. The weather was awesome and we all had a good time. Molly and Gavin both seem to like the pool, but neither cares for the freezing, cold Atlantic.

Gavin and I went for a run on the boardwalk. He wanted to run with me, but I brought the jogger stroller just in case. He probably ran about 3/4 mile before asking to get in the stroller and rest. Then after a mile or so he decided to run again. That time he only last about 1/4 mile, but his form was much better. After that I pushed him in the stroller the rest of the way.

Speaking of the stroller, I am going to start running with Molly (or Gavin) as often as possible. I'd love to get to the point where I can do some races with Molly. Some of you may recall my desire to compete in triathlon intensified when we received Molly's diagnosis last March. Then this summer we decided to recruit athletes and supporters for Team Molly Bear to help raise money for the Trisomy 18 Foundation. So one could suggest that Molly has been the motivation behind my entry into the world of "recreational" triathlon.

Well if you're not familiar with Team Hoyt, take a look. I saw Dick and Rick Hoyt on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel a couple weekends ago and was blubbering like an idiot by the end of the segment. Incredible. Not to sell our team short, but I have a long way to go before I can even ask for a spot on the Team Hoyt practice squad. Yet another "something to aspire to".

Finally, we're approaching the 2nd Annual Emma Marie McCabe Golf Classic. So far there are four foursomes playing in our group. If you're interested in coming out please let me know so I can send you the details. It'll be a great time.

2 comments:

mollymeans said...

I don't know you guys except for the little time I have looked around your website, but I just had to tell you how impressed I am with your beautiful family. Your decision to meet baby Molly and walk with her in her life is the truest form of love - where we choose to sacrifice ourselves to love someone else. And no doubt you are experiencing a unique and amazing love through knowing her. It is so rare in our culture to see people like you, who choose the harder road. But I believe that is almost always the best road and that you will be blessed having taken it. I am blown away. And I think you're daughter has a pretty sweet name!

Many blessings,
Molly Elizabeth Means

Sean said...

You're very kind to say such nice things. Thanks for reading about Molly and for taking the time to write a bit. We like your name, too.