Tuesday, September 25, 2007

And That is a Rutgers....First Down

Gavin loves football. This is a good thing because, as some of you may know, I do too. On the surface my new job appears to have nothing to do with football. But when you work for a public university amidst a surge in popularity resulting somewhat from the success of its football program, it takes on a more significant role in everyone's day-to-day activities. Particularly if your job function involves interacting with alumni as often as possible, and tens of thousands of them come to you for a home game.

I get to go to all the games. We have season tickets so I get to go anyway. But now it's actually part of my job. I took Gavin to the first game of the season and he had a blast. Ironically, his favorite part is the cannon. It gets fired after every RU score. For some reason he doesn't like it when the crowd cheers really loud, but he loves the cannon. His other favorite part is when there is an RU first down and the PA announcer shouts the title of this post. He gets pretty into it and says it along with the announcer. We also record the games on the TV at home. For the entire week all Gavin wants to watch on TV is the Rutgers game. He pretends to be Ray Rice and runs plays along with the team right in our living room. He also spends at least 30 minutes every evening playing football in the yard with whomever agrees to "be the yellow team". I can only hope this all works out well for us in the long run.

Separate from football the job also goes well. I am still getting my bearings and learning the ropes, but all in all I have avoided doing anything silly. The group I work with is only five people, so I am pretty comfortable with who they are and what they do And there are another handful of people whose names and functions I have figured out, but there is a long way to go. We have over 150 people in the three buildings on this campus and on two other campuses across the state. In some ways it's been easier for me to meet alumni than it has to meet my colleagues. But none of that was meant to sound negative so if it does chalk it up to bad writing.

I do miss some things about my old gig, but all in all I am thrilled with the decision to move. And I am looking forward to going back to some L'ville events as an alum, rather than an employee.

No comments: