Thursday, September 20, 2007

OBX

Our vacation to the Outer Banks was awesome.

Seriously, I am not sure there is any other way to describe it. Basically, it was precisely what the doctor ordered. The one down side, if there has to be one, is that The Boy almost needed that doctor. Gavin contracted some variety of stomach bug that effected him most severely at night, although it made him fairly irritable during the day as well. But it didn't have too negative an impact on things. Like I said, it was awesome.

My goal was to read, relax, and spend a lot of time in the sun. I was very fortunate to get to do all of those things.

Since I was technically between jobs I was actually able to leave my Blackberry in the bed side table for most of the week. Those of you who know me probably realize how difficult that was. That piece of equipment is practically attached to my hand under normal circumstances [since then the Blackberry has actually been retired as my new employers have forced me to adapt to a Treo; I miss my Blackberry].

I was also able to fly through the first three plus installments in the Harry Potter series. The first three went really fast: no more than a day and a half each. Then the fourth one (this is the one where they jump from 3-400 pages to 7-800 pages) became something of a road block [I have since finished the fourth and am now fighting through the fifth...there are seven. Don't even think about telling me how it ends].

The weather was incredible; the beach was 300 yards away; and the house had a pool. Every day was pretty similar in schedule: early morning run, beach, lunch, pool, beach, pool/happy hour, dinner, hot tub, sleep. If you think that sounds monotonous you're sorely mistaken. That schedule was precisely how I wanted the vacation to go down.

I came back relaxed, tan, and obsessed with a skinny, little wizard. I'm really hoping to pull off a similar vacation next summer.

No comments: