Sunday, November 19, 2006

You Might Live in a Hospital If – The Concept

For almost three weeks we have been essentially living in the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. For a week before that we lived at Robert Wood in New Brunswick. For three days at the beginning of October we lived at St. Peter’s in New Brunswick. For the couple days after Molly was born we lived at University Medical Center of Princeton. With the exception of this 18 stint at CHoP, they’ve basically been layovers. But when you spend a full 24 hour period somewhere, you get to think like an insider. When you bring a suitcase, you’re living there.

I have mentioned people, places and things from the various medical institutions throughout the existence of this blog. I had an idea to write a post about the different types of nurses you encounter; the doctors; something about the food. Then I thought Why not make it a series?

So I will continue to post updates and other tidbits of information as well. But occasionally I will write about something that relates to life in a hospital. I’ll entitle these posts “You Might Live in a Hospital If – insert potentially clever but likely straightforward descriptor here” Since we’ll be going home Tuesday (see paragraph two of previous post re: my plan for rounds this morning) I will likely be writing about things that have happened in the past. I’ll do my best to have it make chronological sense, but since this is my blog I don’t have to.

These are in no way intended to incite sympathy. I don’t want anyone to feel bad that we have to live here. Remember, it’s always about perspective. I just want to give some in-depth insight [how do you like that? Incite and insight in the span of four sentences.] to what happens when you spend this much time in a hospital/(s). You know those guys who are always on Good Morning America or the Today Show, who give tips on how to travel? Tell you which rooms in the hotel have the best water pressure; suggest which airline to fly based on where you’re going, and what seat to get for the most legroom; teach you who to grease and how to grease them to get better seats at a game or a table with a view in a restaurant. I’m going to be those guys – but for less fun stuff.

If it doesn’t work, I’ll stop.

No comments: