Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Planned on Resigning This Morning

But it turns out I didn't win the MegaMillions Jackpot.

Plus it actually would have been silly to quit. I mean I enjoy what I do, and it's probably not the best time to give up the medical benefits. Not to mention I could have taken credit for soliciting the huge gift I would have made to the School.

But like I said, I didn't win.

I did spend a fair amount of time yesterday thinking about winning it. C'mon you've done it before. And you should all be sad for me [unless one of you won, in which case forget about me and get to your lawyers office immediately]; because a bunch of you stood to benefit from my "what-ifs".

Get this: I'm only practical because I have to be.

For a few minutes yesterday afternoon, when I had a lump-sum take-home (after taxes and splitting the balance with the person who actually purchased the ticket for me) of roughly $92m, I was driving a Bentley; Ten $2m trusts were set up (some of the beneficiaries don't exist yet, and hardly any of them are my kids); I had built four houses (only two of them were ours); Lville had a new turf football field and a $1m endowed annual fund gift; a couple other charitable gifts were made and large expenses were handled; and then we started living off the conservative return of almost $3m/year without touching the principal.

That's when I realized that after paying my lawyer, investment guy, cleaning person, and landscaper, $3m/year wasn't really all that much money and thus I would have to keep my job.

Or I could downsize my houses; drive an Escalade; make those trusts $1m each; keep grass on the football field; give a couple thousand bucks a year to the annual fund; and live off a much larger return?

Or maybe a combination of the two?

Sure, the best case scenario would be to change very little about your lifestyle and just be comfortable with the fact that you - and a few generations afterwards, if invested properly - would never have to worry about money again. But what are the chances that you could do that? I am fairly certain I would have to start spending like a rapper.

But like I said, I didn't win. Although someone from NJ apparently did.

So back here on planet Earth there is little to report on Miss Molly. She is home resting; wearing one of her hand splints; spitting up occasionally after she eats; and blowing raspberries at her mother at like 4 in the morning. The visiting nurse came the other day and she weighed nine pounds two ounces. Her lungs sounded clear. Yesterday a respiratory therapist came and showed Erin how to hook up Molly's breathing monitor.

No comments: