Saturday, March 31, 2007

Karma - Brown XII: Hostility in the Hospital

"...and fighting out of the purple corner, with an unblemished record and all wins by knockout, Karma!"

I'll sugar coat it for the benefit of my loyal readers: this morning has been wretched. Molly stopped throwing up around 10:30 last night, and slept well after about 12:30. She woke up alert around 6:45. Since 8:30 she has been crying.

She just settled down a few minutes ago, but she is not sleeping so I expect an interruption to the silence. She seems fairly comfortable now, but the loose coughs upset her and then it takes her a while to settle in. Her fever is back. She is off food again after being on briefly this morning. Her heart rate is steady; she is on room air, with the cannula blowing one liter gently in her direction; pulse/ox hovering around 80 (as long as she is over 75 the doctors are satisfied).

The kicker is that I feel terrible. I know I said I would not respond to anything short of a "Code Orange", but, of course, that was not taking into consideration the fact that I could be the "Code Purple". They haven't called it yet, but the nurse is clearly keeping an eye on me. In our ongoing battle, Karma came out swinging this morning and has me light-headed and incredibly nauseated. If I could keep my mitts up long enough to be defensive I might stand a chance. But I am pretty much just hanging in there hoping for a bell. Otherwise the knockout punch is coming.

The good news is that the bed is hard as a rock and the shower is a few inches bigger than I am. So I have no chance of getting the things that typically make one feel better.

Freakin' Karma.

No comments: