Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Tale of the Oatmeal Blueberry Pancakes

For those of you who are only checking in to see how Molly is doing I will spare you the suspense: I haven't talked to Erin yet so I have no update.

This is about breakfast.

I figured since the kid really wanted them I might as well make them. So after a Google search, and a few friendly recommendations from afar, I decided I would go ahead and make them from scratch; trying to keep it as healthy as possible. I will say they turned out nicely after I stole bits and pieces from various recipes. I wanted to take a picture, but I can't find the camera.

It took a little longer to make them since I had to do some research, but I thought making Gavin wait a little while would be a fair trade for him making me get up before 7 am. We decided to have a sleepover in mom and dad's room last night and despite being less than half the size of his mother (who has no concept of even distribution of mattress space) he actually takes up more room. At times last night he was actually perpendicular to me, at one point even seeming as if he was trying to push me off the bed with his legs.

So in the end the pancakes came out looking and tasting great. There is one minor adjustment I would make next time, but I am happy about it. Gavin sat down and started eating and couldn't stop telling me how good they were. He even said he'd be having another when he finished his first two. Then he lost some steam, and here's the kicker, he told me, "blueberry isn't really my favorite. I'd rather just have clear pancakes." He also suggested maybe using Craisins.

So I guess my next "from scratch" will be Gavin's Clear Pancakes, but for my first I give you "Solo Dad's Sorta Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes":

To make oatmeal mix one cup water with 3/4 cup instant oats and microwave according to oatmeal package. In a small bowl beat one egg and milk like you're making a scrambled egg. In a medium bowl mix the following dry ingredients: 1/2 cup flour, tsp cinnanmin, tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt. Mix egg mixture into dry mix until well blended, add oatmeal and stir completely. Then add a 1/2 cup frozen blueberries to mixture and fold in (that's the change. I used about a cup).

I used a griddle and heated to 350. They cooked for about 3 minutes on each side. Flip when the edges start to crust.

We topped with a tablespoon of low fat vanilla yogurt (rather than butter) and maple syrup.

I doubt this is at risk of becoming a regular thing, but maybe something easy like this will come in handy for some of you. Next time you want to impress your kids/wife/girlfriend/random girl who came home from the bar with you but you think you may want to see her again rather than let her sneak out of the house while you're in the shower, you can make pancakes. Although in order to do that you need to have some basic staples in your arsenal, and I feel like most of the people I am thinking would benefit from this need recipes using only ketchup, light beer, Chinese take-out condiment packages, and baking soda.

No comments: