Friday, February 23, 2007

A Little Superstitious

Anyone who knows me knows that I am slightly superstitious. I have been this way my whole life. It's another one of those things I could control, but choose not to. What none of you know is that just now is the first time I have ever written that word. I even had to look it up to make sure I spelled it right.

At any rate, because I am slightly superstitious, I have been hesitating to post an update.

So there is this baby I know. She has apparently been doing well the last couple days. I haven't seen her myself, but this friend has seen her a lot and from what she tells me the little girl is doing really well. The hypothetical consensus is that this little girl might be discharged tomorrow morning. This would be great for her parents, so let's keep our fingers crossed. I mean hypothetically...for this little girl I know.

On a personal note [you know, since everything above is hypothetical and about someone else], I gave up making negative comments for Lent. Many of you know that I have this thing about coming up with things to give up for Lent that might make me a better person. To me, giving up cheese, while certainly sacrificial, does not do anything for me except keep me from eating cheese for six weeks. This is not to take anything away from those who choose to give up cheese, it's just not for me. So, for example, last year I gave up aggressive driving/yelling at other cars, etc. It has changed the way I behave in an automobile, even now a year later. A couple of years ago I gave up the F word. Granted I didn't say it often, but it is now virtually eliminated from my vocabulary (with the exception of about a four hour window every Sunday, and usually one or two Monday nights, from September to January).

This year I am giving up making negative comments. This will be even more difficult than last year. And I am actually going to need some help. In fact, right now I am going back through everything I have written so far and trying to ensure there are none there. Where you can help is by pointing them out if you find them (not just now but for the next six weeks). I am not sure I will even recognize them. But I must warn you: there is a difference between negative and cynical (look it up), and there is a difference between negative and sarcastic. If you're going to call me on it please make sure it's not one of the other two things. For the record, I would sooner give up exhaling than cynicism or sarcasm.

Maybe I should have given up being superstitious?

No comments: