Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This is Interesting

So I made a joke in my last post about getting my information via my wife's web site and suggested perhaps there was someone out there who could fill me in on how my daughter was doing. Imagine my surprise when a call comes in from a CHoP number and someone other than my wife is on the other end. Actually that's not that weird, but what follows is. Here is my best attempt at a transcript of the phone call:

"This is Dr. Yang from the anesthesiology department at Children's Hospital."

"Hello."

"I have a few questions to ask you about your daughter. You know she is here in the hospital?And we're trying to squeeze her in for surgery tomorrow."

"Ok well you are aware that my wife is actually in the room with my daughter and while I am happy to answer any questions you have it may be easier from a logistical point-of-view if you just go and talk to her."

"Well I went to the room and no one was there. And we need a consent in case we can get her on the schedule tomorrow."

"Blah. Blah. Blah."

"Blah. Blah. Blah."

"Ok. Thank you. Goodbye."

So half way through I realized the call wasn't that funny or weird and I changed my plan. But the point is that someone from the hospital called to get consent from me when Erin is already down there. It seems silly.

And it just goes to show you that we're often as in the dark as anyone because after I talked to the doctor I called Erin and, although she knew there was a consult planned, she had no idea they were talking about tomorrow.

What I got from the doctor was that Molly is doing pretty well. In fact, according to Dr. Yang's boss, she is "the healthiest she's been in a long time." So they want to get her in for surgery because if they don't she is going to be sent home.

So let's hope she gets in tomorrow afternoon [Dr. Yang gave me a 40% chance it'll happen tomorrow] and then has a speedy recovery.

No comments: