Tuesday, February 06, 2007

When It Rains, It Pours

I've used that before, you may recall, when our refrigerator broke and Molly was at CHoP recovering from heart surgery. It's cliche, yes. It's also offensively accurate.

Today I fully intended to write a post about Molly's trip to the cardiologist. Her appointment was at 9:15, so I figured by 11 am I could post something about something.

At 4:04 pm I got a call from a friend at work asking me what I needed from my office. She was slightly frantic.

"I got all the pictures from the bookshelf, what else do you need?" she asked.

"Umm, excuse me?"

"From your office. What do you need from your office?"

I was thinking, have I been fired?

Apparently the first thing she said was that there was a flood. My office was one of many currently flooding. Cell phones being as reliable as they are, I missed the key to the whole conversation. Fortunately I have not been fired. Unfortunately there is an inch of water on my floor. But why wasn't I in the office when it flooded, you may ask?

When the cardiologist listened to Molly's lungs this morning she heard some fluid in the left lung. She's been sick for nearly six weeks now, but every time she was examined her lungs were clear. This time not so much. Since we were in Princeton, the doctor recommended we go to Princeton Hospital (UMCP) for an X-ray. Before we headed out to the hospital she did another ecko and let us know that the heart looked pretty normal, she just wanted to check on the lungs. We were fast-tracked at Princeton and ended up back at the cardiologists office by a little after 1 pm. The x-ray confirmed a little pneumonia in Molly's left lung and the cardiologist told us she had called ahead to reserve a bed for her at CHoP.

So by 3 pm we were settled into the room right next door to the last room Molly inhabited before she left in November. Weird actually. It's literally next door. The room she is in shares a bathroom with the room she was in last time.

Bottom line is that she has pneumonia and she'll require some in-house treatment for a few days at least. We're not sure exactly what the course of action will be; we'll know more after all the tests are done. The doctors seemed generally positive - well one of them did, the other may have actually been a robot.

It's nearly midnight and I am wondering if any of this even makes sense. I'm sorry if it doesn't, but there's nothing much I can do about it. I am going to bed now.

On a much more bizarre note, someone in the elevator was saturated in Southern Comfort and now all I can smell is SoCo. I nearly had to pull over on 95 because it kept making me gag. All you kids out there: drinking to the point of near-blind intoxication will haunt you not only for the following 36 hours, but periodically for the rest of your life.

No comments: