Saturday, February 17, 2007

Uneventful

Sadly, and miraculously, the class this morning yielded very little material.

Erin and I decided yesterday to switch it up and I ended up going home for the night. I came back to CHoP early this morning in time for the class. Erin thought it would be a good idea for both of us to go. She says it's so she feels more comfortable with the information, and since she is a visual learner she'll understand it better with first-hand experience. I think it's because she was afraid I'd come back from the class and tell her that she could only flush the tube using her left hand and that it would be more effective if she did it wearing a wool hat. How could she argue if she wasn't there?

But what really happened was pretty status quo. It was basically like a CPR class. There was a realistic-looking toddler dummy with a g tube in its stomach. The nurse showed us how to secure it; then she made us do it; then she made us repeat everything she told us about cleaning and caring for the stoma, which is apparently Greek for mouth, "like the mouth of the stomach." ["Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago."] I half expected to get a sticker at the end of it. Instead the nurse wished us luck and then told us she needed to use the ladies room.

Molly had a great day today. I'll be amazed if she sleeps all night since she has been sleeping most of the day. Keeping my fingers crossed. She had one spell where she got really mad and seemed generally uncomfortable, but aside from that she hasn't even really made any noise. She is on split feeds (half formula/half Pedialyte) at full volume and they are going to keep her on that plan for the next day or so. She seems satisfied with that. She has not gotten any pain medication since 7 am. Tomorrow morning general surgery will come by to change the dressing on her incision. Can't complain.

Ironically, I am exhausted from doing nothing all day. I like to think I am going to bed soon, but there are factors that may prohibit this from happening. Be on the lookout for a future post outlining these factors.

No comments: